Colonoscopy with Miralax
For this preparation, you will need:
- One 238 gram bottle of Miralax (non prescription)
- Four Dulcolax tablets
- 64 oz of your favorite clear liquid (preferably Gatorade or Crystal Light,)
Preparation Instructions for colonoscopy with Miralax: Diet and Medication
7 Days Prior To Procedure
- Stop aspirin, products containing aspirin, Plavix, Aggrenox, Alka-seltzer, iron supplements, vitamin supplements containing vitamin E & C, garlic, Ginseng, Ginkgo Bilbao, Ginger, saw Palmetto, Pepto Bismol, multivitamins, fish oils, or any other herbal supplements.
- Avoid popcorn, nuts, corn, beans & poorly digestible vegetables (corn, broccoli, etc)
- Stop non-steroidal inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) such as Motrin, Advil, Aleve, etc. Tylenol is permitted
3 Days Prior To Procedure
• Stop Coumadin/Warfarin
**lf you do take Coumadin/Warfarin, Lovenox, anti-platelet agents (Ticlid or Plavix) or other blood thinner, you must consult with your cardiologist or primary care physician regarding discontinuing these medications. If you have been instructed to continue any of these medications, you must advise your gastroenterologist prior to the procedure so that he can discuss with your doctor.
On the day before the procedure:
You will need to go on a clear liquid diet the entire day. You can drink clear liquids up to 2 hours prior to the appointment. Avoid juices with pulp such as orange or grapefruit juice. No dairy products, cream or soy. Coffee and tea are acceptable. Examples of clear liquids include broth or bouillon, Jell-O, clear juices, sports drinks such as Gatorade, sodas such as Sprite, 7-Up, or gingerale, lemonade, Popsicles, coffee or tea and of course, water. Avoid red or purple colored liquids. You may use sugar, honey or lemon. You should consume at least 64 ounces of liquid during the day prior to your colonoscopy.
Step 1: Beginning at Approximately 3 pm
- Take two (2) Dulcolax tablets with 8 oz of water. Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water. Mix bottle of Miralax in 64 oz of clear liquid. Shake the solution until the Miralax is dissolved and refrigerate it.
Step 2: Beginning at Approximately 6:00pm
- Shake the solution again to make sure the Miralax is dissolved. Drink 8 oz of the solution every 10-15 minutes until you have finished about ¾ of the solution. You may drink as much clear liquids as you wish prior to going to sleep.
Step 3: Beginning at approximately 8:00pm
- Take two (2) additional Dulcolax tablets with 8 oz of water. Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water. Drink the remaining solution
If your colonoscopy is scheduled for 10 am or earlier, beginning at 4 am for optimal results, drink 8 oz of the solution every 10-15 minutes until finished.
- If your colonoscopy is scheduled for after 10 am, beginning at 6am, drink 8 oz of the solution every 10-15 minutes until finished.
Day of the procedure:
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 3 hours prior to your procedure time!
- You should be accompanied by a friend or relative to drive or assist you home. You will not be allowed to drive for 12 hours after the procedure.
- You should take your regular medications with small sips of water unless you are instructed otherwise.
- Please arrive at your procedure location 1 HOUR PRIOR to your procedure’s scheduled time.
- If you are a diabetic taking insulin, hold the morning dose of insulin the day of the procedure
- If you have an artificial heart valve, or have a previous history of endocarditis, or other specific indication, please notify our office to determine if you require a pre-procedure antibiotic.
- Be sure to remember any allergies to medications and to Latex, or conditions that would make you sensitive to sedation such as sleep apnea syndrome.
At Manhattan Gastroenterology we offer a colonoscopy procedure in Midtown Manhattan and Upper East Side NYC locations.
Please call our office at 212 427 8761 if you have any further questions.