Colonoscopy Prep with Golytely
Colonoscopy prep instructions with golytely at Manhattan Gastroenterology. Typically, our anesthesiologist will give you a sedative or painkiller so you can relax during the procedure. Colonoscopy rarely causes much pain, but the sedation will help you better tolerate any discomfort, such as pressure, bloating or cramping. To learn more visit colonoscopy procedure
3 Days Before Your GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- If you haven’t already done so, pick up your prescription for GoLYTELY at the pharmacy.
- Start a low fiber diet.
- Stop any iron supplements
- Arrange for your transportation from the procedure
- If you need to cancel your procedure, please call the office at 2124278761
2 Days Before Your GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- If you have not already done so, please pick up your prescription for GoLYTELY at the pharmacy. You will need to drink it tomorrow.
- Do not eat any solid food after midnight.
1 Day Before Your GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- Begin a clear liquid diet. You can have water, clear broth or bouillon, coffee or tea (no milk or creamer), Gatorade, Powerade, Pedialyte, carbonated and non carbonated soft drinks, Kool-Aid or other fruit flavored drinks, Jell-O, popsicles and hard candy. No red or purple fluids are allowed.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water of clear liquids throughout the day.
- At 6 PM: Refrigerate the solution. Begin drinking 3 liters of the GoLYTELY solution (75% of the bottle). Drink 8 ounces every 10 minutes until completed. If you vomit, wait 30 minutes.
After that, begin drinking again taking 6 ounces every 15 minutes.
Rapidly drinking a glassful is better than sipping an ounce or two at a time. A straw may be helpful to use when drinking the solution to get it down easier. Bowel movements may begin to occur about one hour after drinking the first glass and may continue two to four hours after you finish the last glass.
Feelings of bloating, nausea and chills are common after the first few glasses. This is temporary and will soon disappear once bowel movements begin. If nausea becomes acute, stop drinking the solution for 30 minutes, then resume drinking every 15 minutes as before.
- Refrigerate the remaining 1 liter (25%) of the GoLYTELY
The Day of the GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- 5 hours before your appointment time: Drink the remaining 1 liter (the rest of the bottle) of GoLYTELY.
- Continue clear liquid diet including water.
- 3 hours before your appointment: Stop drinking liquids. (You may take your morning medicines with 4 ounces of water)
- Your stool should be clear yellow to be ready for the exam.
Alternatively, you can download instructions in doc format: Colonoscopy Prep with Golytely
Please call our office at 212 427 8761 if you have any further questions.