GOLYTELY SPLIT-DOSE COLON PREP INSTRUCTIONS
Bowel preparation before a colonoscopy is extremely important. Good preparation allows a physician to thoroughly examine a colon. The bowels need to be completely and carefully cleaned so that the doctor can easily discover any potential problems. Polyps or other abnormalities may be harder to notice if the bowels aren’t prepped and emptied properly prior to the procedure. You should consult the gastroenterologist that is performing your procedure for you about the details of your bowel preparation (solution, specific instructions) to ensure it is done correctly to allow for a better prep rather than relying on general instructions. Do not discontinue any medications without speaking to your doctor. Procedural preparations also change and evolve with time so it is important to understand what preparation, solution and instructions you doctor recommends now for the best preparation for your procedure. To learn more visit colonoscopy procedure
3 Days Before Your GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- If you haven’t already done so, pick up your prescription for GoLYTELY at the pharmacy.
- Start a low fiber diet.
- Stop any iron supplements
- Arrange for your transportation from the procedure
- If you need to cancel your procedure, please call the office at 212-427-8761
2 Days Before Your GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- If you have not already done so, please pick up your prescription for GoLYTELY at the pharmacy. You will need to drink it tomorrow.
- Do not eat any solid food after midnight.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★The entire staff were welcoming and made the visit quick and seamless. The office is clean and the staff even make a point in offering coffee or water while you wait. The doctor was very friendly and to the point. Highly recommend choosing this office.
1 Day Before Your GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- Make sure your solution is refrigerated for use later in the day. Begin a clear liquid diet. You can have water, clear broth or bouillon, coffee or tea (no milk or creamer), Gatorade, Powerade, Pedialyte, carbonated and non carbonated soft drinks, Kool-Aid or other fruit flavored drinks, Jell-O, popsicles and hard candy. No red or purple fluids are allowed.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water of clear liquids throughout the day.
- At 5 PM: Begin drinking 3 liters of the GoLYTELY solution (75% of the bottle). Drink 8 ounces every 10 minutes until completed. If you vomit, wait 30 minutes.
After that, begin drinking again taking 6 ounces every 15 minutes.Rapidly drinking a glassful is better than sipping an ounce or two at a time. A straw may be helpful to use when drinking the solution to get it down easier. Bowel movements may begin to occur about one hour after drinking the first glass and may continue two to four hours after you finish the last glass.Feelings of bloating, nausea and chills are common after the first few glasses. This is temporary and will soon disappear once bowel movements begin. If nausea becomes acute, stop drinking the solution for 30 minutes, then resume drinking every 15 minutes as before.
- Refrigerate the remaining 1 liter (25%) of the GoLYTELY
The Day of the GoLYTELY Colonoscopy Procedure:
- 5 hours before your appointment time: Drink the remaining 1 liter (the rest of the bottle) of GoLYTELY.
- Continue clear liquid diet including water.
- 3 hours before your appointment: Stop drinking liquids. (You may take your morning medicines with 4 ounces of water)
Alternatively, you can download instructions in doc format: Colonoscopy Prep with Golytely
In The Press
Call now to make an appointment with our award winning, board certified Gastroenterologists regarding your digestive health. We look forward to seeing you!book online now (212) 427-8761
(212) 427-8761 Manhattan Gastroenterology (Midtown) 51 East 25th Street Ste 407, NY 10010
(212) 533-2400 Manhattan Gastroenterology (Union Square) 55 W 17th St Ste 102, NY 10011